Saturday 19 September 2020

Facebook Fast: Day 5

 I spent a little time yesterday meditating and reading (for meditation see 'thinking') about the living water. An instance in John where Jesus talks with a Samaritan woman at the well (of Jacob)

“Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” ~John 4:13

 and an instance where Jesus stands up at the end of a feast and shouts out 'Is anyone thirsty, let him come to me and drink, and out of his inner being will flow rivers of living water'. 


On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”[ By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified. ~John 7:37-39 


I'm not much clearer really,  but only to say there are 2 points (which may be one and the same) that are connected to this living water, which seems to be a picture of the Holy Spirit. 

  1. Coming to Jesus. He himself. He gives the water, and we have to come to him to get it. (And, if we are thirsty then thankfully we are invited to do so).  
  2. We must believe. There is another verse in John where Jesus says that the work of God is this: to believe in thee one he has sent.
Belief sometimes feels abstract. I'm not sure how to work at belief, but the idea that you can, I find encouraging. But it is work and it is not work. I will hopefully look some more at this.

In other news, yesterdays reading was about becoming social. Wendy referred back to the verse from Matthew, where Jesus talks about loving the Lord with your heart, mind, soul and strength and talked about how the second part of that is loving your neighbour. Because people are not temporal but also eternal, investment in them is always important too. And I have been aware that although I am gravitating towards my texts, emails and messages in place of FB, it is certainly not a negative thing. The people I am messaging are directly involved in my real life. I have been more proactive with reaching out to my children and yesterday asked after someone who has dropped out of church activities for a few weeks, just to reconnect and make sure they are ok. When I read Wendy's bit retrospectively I could see that God had been leading me that way anyway, it was a real confirmation to what I am doing here!

Still feeling the itch though, but I think it might take a week or two to go entirely....

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Stable to Table

From Stable To Table The famine of the Word of God, Finished: The word in full: Supplied, The Word fulfilled, The Word made flesh  Jehovah J...