Friday 17 June 2016

How great IS our God?

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands,  and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest.  The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead.
Then he placed his right hand on me, and said ;
Do not be afraid. ...
I am the First and Last
I am the Living One
I was dead but look, I am alive forever and ever.
And I hold the keys of death and Hades
. ~ Revelation 1:12-18



I have been listening to the sermons of Dr Martyn Lloyd Jones recently. And I listened to him talk about the verse from John, 'for as many as those who believe, to them he gave the power to become children of God.'
In this sermon in particular he starts to address the subject of The Fatherhood of God.
He is a man from a different era but in some ways ahead of his time.
He talked of how He, God, is referred to as the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliberately so that people will know that he is not like Their own father, because the image of some people's fathers does not summon the response of love.
And he speaks of the warmth and affection of God as a Father..... But he ties it in with respect and reverent fear.
He speaks in a way that makes it clear to me that since his day we have lost this aspect of parenting and culturally lost out on an understanding of this aspect of God.
He is to be feared.
And the strength and authority he commands are, at once fearful to us, but also our source of protection. His fierceness against our enemy is a thoroughly reassuring thing, provided we are on the right side of him.
And we see John's response to this terrifying vision of Christ, with Blazing eyes and a sword protruding from his mouth. John falls down as though slain.
But what Jesus does is so touching and so reassuring.
He places his right hand on him. Affirming him. It is a kind hand bestowing favour.
And he tells him not to be afraid.
And that he is omnipotent, conquering death, earth, time and hell.
The only one who should be truly feared, offers us security.
How powerful is that?
I need some perspective on my life on earth and this provides it in spades.

A friend whilst at bible college once told me of a vision he had of Jesus, standing in the cosmos, the earth literally his foot stool. And this vision really added to him a sense of perspective and security! I have never forgotten the retelling of that.

Don't ask today, 'how big are my problems? ' Or ' How great is my faith? '
Ask this.
How big and how great is my Lord?
Sing with me
How great is our God,
And all will see,
How great,
How great is our God?
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Stable to Table

From Stable To Table The famine of the Word of God, Finished: The word in full: Supplied, The Word fulfilled, The Word made flesh  Jehovah J...