Saturday 8 December 2012

A Second Abraham

 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.... For no word from God will ever fail.”
  “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her. (From Luke 1)


Advent blog; Day 9

It strikes me as I re-read the story of the nativity, that (as an evangelical protestant) I have often skipped over Marys importance in all of this. 'Sure', I would think 'she did a great job, she had a good reaction to the angels words but really, what was so special about her that she should be called "blessed above all women"'. I am not sure us protestants really ever grasp this. She plays a small role in the context of scripture, making a handful of appearances. And lets face it, she is...well, a woman. I do not consider myself to be sexist (beyond those subtle prejudices that none of us can entirely eradicate) but there is no denying that I belong to a tradition that has historically sidelined the feminine cause. It's a natural male bias in a system dominated by males.
Also, in a culture of over-familiarity we refer to The Apostle Paul as though he were a friend we hung out with. Even Jesus is our best mate. I say these things because I feel that a reverence for the Saints of scripture could not be a bad thing. I think its fantastic that the people of the bible and the things they wrote and said are more immediate to us now but, sometimes, we need a little distance too. I think we are to close to the trees to see the wood. Marys role was pivotal. We should not judge her importance by her "screen time".

I want to look at Mary a little more so I will reserve more 'screen time' for her in subsequent blogs. Here I would like to briefly highlight something I saw for the first time, just yesterday. Reviewing the story of her encounter with Gabriel (and directly contrasting her with Zechariah) I was struck for the first time that what really recommends Mary is her belief. I think before, although I have always recognised this as part of her story, I had thought that her main quality was her passivity. A good, demure woman accepting her fate with serenity and dignity. There is possibly truth in all of that. But it is so much more than that.

In the same way that the story of the old covenant begins with a conversation between Abraham and God, so the New covenants origins lie in this conversation with Mary and God. How is it that faith plays such a big part? I have heard many non believing friends say, at the point I speak of faith, that that is an insurmountable difference between us. Faith divides us.

Mary is met by the same circumstances as Zechariah, she is troubled by the angels appearance but where Zechariah is unable to overcome his doubt and fear, Mary believes Gods word to her, through Gabriel.

It was said in Genesis, that "Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness". Faith is at the heart of Christmas. Mary is the mother of faith. St Paul says, somewhere later in his writings "We are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed but of those who believe and are saved". I picture this like a child in need of love, but too afraid to trust. Belief sees, with clarity. Belief sees the goodness of God and the greatness of God and it runs full into his arms and is gathered up in them for an embrace. Fear and doubt, retreats and runs away and receives no comfort, no assurance. This is what Mary did, she saw clearly and came forward for the embrace. Faith pleases God, without it it's impossible . This Christmas may we be like Mary and embrace Gods word of hope to us,

                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Stable to Table

From Stable To Table The famine of the Word of God, Finished: The word in full: Supplied, The Word fulfilled, The Word made flesh  Jehovah J...