Sunday 11 May 2014

Freedom In Christ #7

The Battle For Our Minds


In true, self fulfilling prophecy style, I think I lost mine this last few weeks. I mean the 'Battle', not the mind. Although.....


I must say that I found the last session really helpful. We mostly looked at how Satan primarily attacks us by putting thoughts into our minds. I haven't thought, for a long time, about the parameters of Satan's 'power'.   I found it really helpful to be reminded that he is not 'like God'. He is not Omniscient, (all knowing) Omnipotent (All powerful) or Omnipresent (Everywhere). The likely hood, if we are undergoing a spiritual attack is that we are not meriting Satan's personal attention. And in comparison to God, Satan is like an Ant compared to an atomic bomb. Phew.

But we are susceptible to attacks from organised networks of fallen Angels (Eph 6:12).. 'Satan' can put thoughts and words into our minds and make them sound like our own (highlighting the need to take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ).

He uses
  • Temptation
  • Accusation
  • Deception

Unfortunately falling into sin through these methods, especially repeatedly, means that we can give the Devil a foothold, or footholds. Although he cannot posses a child of God he gain influence of your mind and so 'neutralise' you or even further his agenda.


Fortunately we can have a defence against these strategies of the Enemy. We can;
  • Understand our position in Christ (Eph 1:19-22)
  • Use the resources we have in Christ. (Eph 6:11-20, James 4:7)
  • Do not be frightened (1 John 5:18)
  • Guard our minds (1 Peter 1:13)
  • TURN ON THE LIGHT (John 17:16-17, Phil 4:6-8)

I think, for me, the issue has been being attentive to these issues.

I mentioned at the beginning that I thought I had been losing the battle. I think, primarily, because I haven't been living in a place of recognition of the fact that I am IN a battle. A soldier on a battle field who doesn't know where he/she is, is in a pretty vulnerable state, I reckon.

Paul says, in his 2nd letter to the Corinthians, that we are 'Not unaware of his schemes' he says it to back up his claim that Satan cannot outwit us. If we are not aware that we are in a battle then we are hardly in a place to ensure that we are not outwitted by an enemy.

The above is a list of some of the ways we can ensure that we are not unaware of his schemes. I am going to attempt to be more vigilant in the coming week to submit to God and resist the devil where ever I find opportunity.

I am also thoroughly looking forward to tonight's session on handling emotions. Definitely an area for development and growth.

See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Stable to Table

From Stable To Table The famine of the Word of God, Finished: The word in full: Supplied, The Word fulfilled, The Word made flesh  Jehovah J...