Monday 7 March 2011

Lent: Read this before you eat your Pancakes

I was walking round my local village Tesco last week when I spied an offer for "Liquid Pancake Mix". I knew that that lent (rather late this year) was on its way. I wonder how many of those who take part in Shrove Tuesday will be going on to fast for the duration of Lent. Of course the tradition of Pancakes came about as a way of using up left-overs on the last day before the fasting started. Seems to me a little bit of an irony that we might go to the shop to buy pancakes specially for the occasion.

I'm not from an Episcopal or Catholic background and though Ive been raised in a Christian home I dont think I had a clue about Lent until reaching adulthood. We had Pancakes every year wiothout fail but I didnt have the first clue about fasting. Perhaps this an acurate picture of a certain kind of Christianity....one that revels in the feasts and avoids the fasts...that looks for the delights but ignores the disciplines.

For the first time last year I decided to give lent a go. My motivation, if I'm honest, was to make Easter a bit more special (with the added bonus of potential weight loss). I thought that if I arrived at Easter having completed this that my heart would be better prepared to worship.

In typical moderate style I decided I would give up Chocolate, sugar in drinks and Alcohol. Unfortunately My birthday arrived shortly after the start of lent last year and so within a week of commencing my no choc policy I had been given 3 chocolate cakes. Also I just kept forgetting about the sugar thing as its such an established habit. But the no alcohol  held for the duration. I had been hoping to feel more spiritual throughout this period but what I found was generally the reverse. Fasting very often exists to show us the utter domination that our appetites have over us and as Paul asserts the command do not covet only really brings about in us every covetous desire. Watch the film Chocolat and the scene where the mayor finally gives in to his temptation and wakes up having fallen asleep in the shop window after a mammoth chocolate gorge and you'll see a great picture of this.

As "Holy Week" came about I began to wonder how to intensify my devotions a little. I decided to post a status on my facebook page every day that had an Easter theme. I used Hymns mainly and bible verses. I found that the process of doing this caused in me a meditation and I was being deeply moved by it. By the time Easter Sunday came the service and the meaning seemed richer than ever and  I found that this spiritual blessing had caught me by stealth.

Why was I surprised? I should have known that God is a rewarder of those who seek him. Can I challenge you this year to be a fast Christian as well as a feast Christian.....but only if you want a deeper understanding of |God, all other motives will be self defeating.

Btw I like mine with Golden Syrup!

3 comments:

  1. Mat - join the Emerging Church! where we bring out of God's storehouse both old treasures and new, and rediscover ancient spiritual disciplines. God is breaking the box, lifting off the grid: there are no 'evangelicals', 'liberals', 'catholics' - just followers of Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  2. That church I am already a part of John. Always was and always will be. God will not be contained by labels (nor true followers of Jesus, there is no doctrinal objection to love). If you are referring to the emerging church as yet another label.....not really my cup of tea but hey we're a broad church :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I had completely forgotten it was lent until I read your blog...so my plan is...maple syrup. ha. No really, I need to think and pray and make a late start.

    ReplyDelete

From Stable to Table

From Stable To Table The famine of the Word of God, Finished: The word in full: Supplied, The Word fulfilled, The Word made flesh  Jehovah J...